It's been raining all week. Dreary, cold weather that awakens my hibernation instincts.
I always feel pulled in two directions in this weather. There is the pleasant inclination to curl up with a warm blanket and cup of hot cocoa and read sappy books or watch scary movies all day, maybe bake something sweet filling the house with the smells of cinnamon rolls and chocolate chip cookies. Eventually, though, I end up sinking into a melancholy funk. Maybe it's because real life doesn't allow me that soft rainy day picture. My cuddle partner still has to go to work, the kids still have to be driven to and from school (a soggy, unpleasant process) and the preschoolers get moody and destructive and require way more entertaining. Plus I'm supposed to be watching my diet.
That Winter Bear inside of me still wants to be lying on the couch eating cookies and watching a "Downton Abbey" marathon though.
If I can shake off that Winter Bear voice however, there is something kind of nice about the little disruption of routine, the moving life indoors that draws us together a little more. If I am trying to indulge in lazing about the boys are like mosquitoes on a hot Summer day, constantly swarming all over me no matter how much I bat them away. The trick is learning to just give in and accept that rainy days, for now, are about reading stories, playing mind numbing board games (I remember Cootie Bugs being so much more fun when I was 5) and catching worms.
Of course, this is much easier to realize now that Gavin is at preschool and Jasper is napping. I may just have to go google some cinnamon roll recipes....
No comments:
Post a Comment