Friday, June 28, 2013

Random Moments from a Typical Day

At the grocery store today, I noticed an older lady closely watching my boys as they goofed off and lobbied for snacks at the checkout counter. After a while she said, "I'm sorry. I am just so enjoying this. It really takes me back. I have two boys--they are 27 and 29 now and they even have the same coloring as your boys. This is like watching a movie from 25 years ago. They are exactly the same as mine were." 

I'm not sure what it was about the moment that struck me so. I think maybe it was the way that remembering this CRAZY phase of life made her look so happy and amused. It was clear she hadn't forgotten what a challenge it is, but also that it was, at the same time, a very fond memory.

Later in the car:
Gavin: Mom! Me and Jasper are going for a ride in a plane! You wanna come?
Me: Where are you going?
Gavin: To Utah to see Aunt Kaysea's baby.
Sera: I wanna come!!!
Me: Me too!
Jasper: The plane will be very careful and we will not fall out of the sky.
Gavin: But there will be meat eating dinosaurs. Tyranasarus and Velociraptors and Spinosauraus. 
Me: On the plane?!
Sera: That sounds scary!
Gavin: No...on the ground, when we land. (in a total "duh. why would there be dinosaurs on a plane?" voice)
Sera: When is Kaysea taking her baby home?
Me: I don't know. It depends on how soon she starts breathing on her own. She's doing better, but is still on Oxygen. 
Gavin: What is oxygen?
Sera: It's the air we breathe.
Me: Since Kaysea's baby came early she is having a little trouble breathing by herself, so the doctor's are helping her out.
Jasper: I can breathe by myself!
Me: Yes you can.
**Brief discussion about the baby's name, how breathing works etc**
Jasper: Maybe the dinosaurs will eat me under the water, where I can't breathe. 
(because Jasper's job in most conversations is to combine all the possible scary elements into Something New to Worry About.)

And now Sera is teaching herself to play the Harry Potter theme song on her new (bigger) bass. And Gideon and Gavin are playing a duet on the piano. And I am being so super tolerant of all this noise. You all have to be very very proud of me. Because noise is pretty much the hardest part of parenting for me many days. Also there is thunder. Which I only know because they all just stopped playing music at the same time right as the thunder struck.

No comments:

Post a Comment